EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: My first Ale is in my closet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi ,You may want to siphon the beer off of the sediment after the foamon top has subsided ( usually within 3 days ) . The sediment canproduce some very bitter flavors in your beer . Just use a vinylhose that has been soaked in weak bleach/water solution and don'tput the end into the sediment .Also , put your beer somewhere dark . Exposure to light is whatproduces the "skunky" smell in Rolling Rock , Heinekin and otherbeers bottled in green or clear glass .Good luck--- "ramjammn" wrote:> I started two 2L bottles of an Amber Ale today.>> 120 ounces of bottled spring water> 9 ounces of John Bull Hopped Amber extract malt> 9 ounces of Light Dry Malt Extract> 1 ounce (It was all I had) of corn sugar>> Boiled mixture for 20 minutes. Cooled in ice bath.> yeast was pitched at around 76deg. I tasted the wort> and it could have been stronger.I will try making> it stronger on my next batch. I put apx 52 ounces> in each bottle. One thing that concerns me is all> the debris on the bottom of each bottle. I will keep> you all posted on results.ORGINAL POSTER: ariesmoon69