EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: ""yeasty"" flavor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I only suggested it because i know you can run cheap vodka throughone and it will improve the taste.--- Steve wrote:> Never try to filter a beverage through a brita filter.It will> just ruin the filter. There are two ways to get all the yeast out:>> method 1) Clarify in the fridge. Carefully siphon offinto> another container being careful not to disturb the> sediment. Repeat. Clarify. Pour through coffee filter.>> method 2) Add a chemical specifically sold to clarifyhome brew> wines or beers. Then follow method 1.>> Both methods work equally well, but method 2 will shave afew days> off the process. Method 2 is also better for bottling if you areunsure> fermentation has ended as most of the clarifiers also kill theyeast. Some> of these chemicals contain sulfites which can cause rare allergicreactions> and have anecdotally been linked to cancer. Other clarifiers,like> gelatin, may not kill all the yeast but is also effective.>> At 05:17 AM 8/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:> >I don't mind a slight hint of yeast taste (sierra nevada happensto> >be one of my favorite beers) it's just mine was so strong. I'lllet> >my next batch clarify before drinking. I was just concerned tosee> >if my first batch worked. quick question though: I'm wanting to> >serve this to some friends and i'm not sure if they'll detect the> >taste after clarifying or not, do you think if i poured itthrough> >one of those brita pitchers it would filter out all of the yeastand> >if it did would it filter out good parts of the beverage?> >> >> >> >> >--- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, "ramjammn" wrote:> > > --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, therockinc@y... wrote:> > > > My first beverage just finished fermenting. I got impatient> >dring> > > > clarification and drank some as soon as it was cold. ittasted> > > good> > > > but I noticed the distinct flavor of the yeast. My question> >is:> > > > Does this go away after clarification or will all of minehave> >this> > > > flavor? If so i can live with it I'd just rather not havethat> > > > yeasty taste.> > >> > > The cloudy color in the beverage is suspended yeast> > > cells. Like Steve said. Once the beverage clears> > > most (there still might be a faint hint of yeast> > > flavor)of the yeast taste will go away. I put my> > > 2L bottles in the fridge for 2 or 3 days. Then transfer> > > the drink ( I like getting the beverage off the lees> > > (sediment) as soon as possible) into smaller plasic> > > soda bottles for 10 days. This produces perfectlyORGINAL POSTER: therockinc