EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: spilled over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
--- "jmader011" wrote:> This is my first time trying the EZ caps. I have two bottles> brewing-one apple and one cran-apple. I added about one cup sugarand> about a dose and a half of yeast to each. I only filled them about> 85% full. They've been brewing for four days and I thought I'd give> them a sip to see how sweet they are. I opened the apple and it> hissed quite a bit and didn't have too much taste. I opened the> cran-apple and it hissed like the apple, but flowed over a lot like> when you shake a soda. I tried it and it tasted a lot sweeter than> the apple. Is this normal?>> Thanks,> JasonThat is normal for only 4 days when using a cup of sugar. I normallydo 1 cup sugar batches about 9 or 10 days. That is at an average tempof around 73deg. I have done 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cup batches as long as 13days.What I do when I want to sample is this. Put the 2L bottle in freezerfor about 15 to 20 minutes. Place it on a flat surface of the freezerand not a rack. After 15 to 20 minutes enough chill will be conductedthrough the bottom of your 2L bottle. It will be quite cold where allthe sediment is with out chilling the entire contents of the bottle.Then slowly bleed a little gas at a time. Do it right and you willonly get up to one inch of foam on top. Taste your sample. If it isto sweet then ferment longer. Once the liquid gets back up to roomtemp it will ferment again.ORGINAL POSTER: ramjammn