EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: NOT ENOUGH ALCOHOL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To all those users having problems not having enough alcohol totheir drink:It took some searching but I found the figure of sugar/alcohollevel you are looking for.If nearly 100% of all the available sugars in the beverage areconverted to alcohol you can expect 34 grams of sugar in a 2 liter ofbeverage bottle to produce 1% alcohol. The problem with this is that thiswould result in something tasting like vinegar, so most people fermenttheir beverages so that the final end product still contains quite a bit ofsugar. When buying your juice it will show exactly how many grams of sugarare in it on the NUTRITIONAL LABEL under the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATEsection. This will usually be for an 8 ounce serving. Thus, for a twoliter bottle you will need to multiply that number by 8 to figure out howmany grams of sugar are in the 2 liter bottle. This will give you the"theoretical maximum" amount of alcohol a beverage will produce.Using Apple Juice as an example, if you ferment until the yeastdies completely, most people find that they have to add about 12-16 ounces(by volume) of table sugar to achieve a high-alcohol beverage that it sweetenough for their taste buds. It's probably possible to add more sugar andgo even higher, but you may be talking about very long (weeks instead ofdays) fermentation time. The EZ Caps yeast is alcohol tolerant to16-18%. Final alcohol percentage is dependant on a number of factors, suchas the PH and nutrient levels inherent to the juice, but most users areachieving levels of 12-14% from normal juices with little effort.A hydrometer can tell you the exact alcohol percentage of yourdrink, they cost about ten dollars.>Zeetahn,>>You're experience is pretty much identical to my own thus far, though I've>only been through 2 batches. The stuff was very carbonated, but I>couldn't for the life of me detect any alcohol after the week of>fermenting. Hopefully some of the fine folks in this group can steer us>in the right direction.>>Cheers,>>NickORGINAL POSTER: steve