EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: [E-Z-Caps] Bottling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's not the sediment that creates the problem, it's because thereis still consumable sugars in the drink and theoretically a singlemicroscopic yeast cell is all it takes to start a thriving colony.There are 3 "main" ways to insure this doesn't happen:1) All the sugars are consumed and all the yeast die of starvation.2) The alcohol content gets above 16-18% and kills the yeast.3) The yeast is deliberately killed by a chemical especiallydesigned for this purpose (tablets available at the homebrew stores).Cheers,SteveAt 08:35 PM 1/26/2005 +0000, you wrote:>Be careful when bottling clarified wine if there is ANY sediment>left in it. I clarified a brew then poured off and re-clarified>twice. There was still a little sediment that got into the mix. I>bottled it in a wine bottle with a cork and let it sit for a few>days at room temp. to see if it would erupt. It didn't until I>thought it was safe and layed it on my wine rack with the rest of my>bottles. Then the cork gave way and created such a mess.>>Any suggestions what I can do to avoid this if I don't want a>carbonated beverage?>>Thanks,>BJ>>>>>>>>Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>ORGINAL POSTER: steve