EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: A few new questions from a new guy.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
> I have no experience with this, but would love to hear the> results. For the record, what is the artificial sweetener?The drink turned out pretty good. It took awhile to startfermenting, about 3 days before it really took off. Then, I checkit after 10 days and it was still quite sweet. I let it ferment foranother 8 days to make sure all of the sugar I added was comsumed.It still tastes pretty sweet, and the alcohol content seems fairlyhigh, so I am assuming the sweetener has maintained the sweetness ofthe drink. It's pretty good, though I've discovered I'm not a hugefan of the citrus type drinks; it's just not my taste. I believethe sweetener was aspartame, but I'm at work so I don't have thecan, and I can't remember for sure. If I had to do it again I wouldprobably add a little white grape juice for extra nutrients just tospeed the process up a little.--- Steve wrote:>> >First, I was wondering if anyone thought that a citrus type of> >juice, or iced tea would ferment better with a re-used yeast> >culture. My thought is that the dead yeast might providenutrients,> >and the fermentation might take off faster than using a new batch.> Every time I've re-used the yeast culture thefermentation starts> out vigorous and proceeds rapidly. Citrus blends (orange,pineapple, etc)> tend to look like they are curdling during the fermentationprocess and> thusly take longer to clarify.>> >Second, I wanted to use a Minute Maid drink that I like, howeverit> >is artificially sweetened. Obviously the sweetener won't ferment,> >but will it cause any problem with the process, or give "off"> >flavors? I was planning on adding some type of fermentable sugar> >(i.e. table sugar, dextrose, etc…) then letting it ferment until> >most, or all of that was fermented. Do you think the artificial> >sweetener will stay in the drink and act as a residual sugar,> >maintaining some sweetness to the drink, or I will I end up with> >something awful? Has anyone tried anything like this?> I have no experience with this, but would love to hearthe> results. For the record, what is the artificial sweetener?ORGINAL POSTER: tinyjefferson