EZ Caps

Full Version: Uht- Ohhh....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think I just made a batch of vinegar!When I finished brewing my 3rd batch or so of cider, I knew I wasgoing to be pitching a new batch that night, so I tried an experiment(first mistake!)I started by siphoning the finished (cleared) cider from one 2 literbottle to another. I do this to transfer the "good" cider at the topof the bottle to it own container so I don't have to worry aboutstirring up the "dregs" or "leeds" when I pours a glass. I avoidgetting an off taste this way. When that was done I sealed the ciderand put it back in the 'fridge. I took the left over cider (aboutthe bottom 1 inch in a standard 2 liter plastic bottle) with theleeds and added 1 teaspoon of table sugar and about 3/4 cup (orso...) of warm tap water, about 90 degrees F. I put the EZ cap onand set this "starter mix" aside for about 8 hours or so. Hindsighttells me I should point out that this bottle is 80-90% air at thistime.That night I mixed my apple juice concentrate (Wal-Mart generic, nosulfites or preservatives, Vitamin C added), 3 AJ cans of water and 1cup of table sugar at about 90-95 degrees F. I opened the bottlethat had my "started mix" in it, and much to my delight, there was alittle pressure in the bottle! I added my freshly made juice mix,shook it all up, wrote the date on the bottle (good habit!) and setit aside to brew.My intent was to let this batch brew for 10-14 days, depending on mypatience, re-sweeten, and see if I could get this batch to "brew-out"meaning have the yeast consume as much sugar as possible and die offfrom the alcohol content. That way I could bottle it up with regularpress on caps or corks without the cider continuing to ferment,creating pressure and making a glass-grenade. I noticed however onday 2 or 3 that there was a "head" in the brewing bottle. I shookthe bottle up to make it go away, and set it back. I checked itagain the next day, same thing. This time I opened the bottle slowlyand was unpleasantly greeted with an acrid "vinegary" smellingaroma. It appears to have plenty of carbonation.I sealed it all up and here in a day or 2 i will be moving it tothe 'fridge to clear. I am full confident that when I open thebottle this weekend, I will have 1.75 liters of apple cider vinegar.Was the re-using the yeasty dregs THAT bad of an idea? Did I misssomething else along the way? Your ideas, questions and thoughts aremost welcome!ORGINAL POSTER: willum