EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: Digest Number 246
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks for the experiment, great idea. I'm going to try a 3/4 cupwhite 1/4 brown next.--- janet@u... wrote:>> Yes, I've done a control test. One 2 liter I used regular white sugar,> the other 2 liter bottle regular brown sugar. At the end of 10 days,> using a vinometer the white cane sugar bottle finished at 12% alcohol,> and the brown sugar bottle finished at 17% alcohol. Also, the brown> sugar test had a more sparkling effect, and my boss mentioned the white> sugar one had a faint cidery taste. Probably it was still fermenting at> 10 days later and would have gone even higher, yet I put both in the> refrigerator to stop the action. Both were absolutely excellent in> dryness, sparkle and I love the ease of EZ Caps. I've used other> methods but this is a safe, portable way to keep kids out of playing> with or removing the bubble trap on larger fermenting bottles.>> I need help understanding using old yeast. I still have these bottles> remains in the refrigerator. How much old yeast do I reuse? Would I> also pitch new yeast in a new batch? How good or how long does old> yeast stay if refrigerated?>> What about black stuff floating in bottles during early fermentation? I> did another experiment by letting herbs and grains sit suspended in> water, but loosely covered in my garage for 5 days and noticed it was> extracted, and possibly fermenting because there was foam. Is that too> long? I strained it, began the EZ Caps process, but noticed after> capping and adding sugar and the EZ Cap yeast it had lots of black> stuff floating the first week, but it died and floated to the bottom.> Is my experiment safe to consume? Should I throw it out? What is the> time limit and should I be careful to keep the initial extraction> process air tight? I didn't keep it air tight but loosely covered.>> > -------- Original Message --------> > Subject: [E-Z-Caps] Digest Number 246> > From: E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com> > Date: Sun, November 20, 2005 5:10 am> > To: E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com> >> >> > There is 1 message in this issue.> >> > Topics in this digest:> >> > 1. Brown Sugar> > From: "cop8_wannabe" > >> >> >________________________________________________________________________> >________________________________________________________________________> >> > Message: 1> > Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:31:53 -0000> > From: "cop8_wannabe" > > Subject: Brown Sugar> >> > I just recently purchased my EZ caps and gave it a quick go with all> > 6 caps at once for roughly about a 2 week fermentation period based> > off of a friend's recipe.> >> > However instead of the standard 1 cup of sugar, I did half a cup of> > white sugar and half a cuORGINAL POSTER: cop8_wannabe