EZ Caps

Full Version: RE: [E-Z-Caps] Digest Number 246
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, I've done a control test. One 2 liter I used regular white sugar,the other 2 liter bottle regular brown sugar. At the end of 10 days,using a vinometer the white cane sugar bottle finished at 12% alcohol,and the brown sugar bottle finished at 17% alcohol. Also, the brownsugar test had a more sparkling effect, and my boss mentioned the whitesugar one had a faint cidery taste. Probably it was still fermenting at10 days later and would have gone even higher, yet I put both in therefrigerator to stop the action. Both were absolutely excellent indryness, sparkle and I love the ease of EZ Caps. I've used othermethods but this is a safe, portable way to keep kids out of playingwith or removing the bubble trap on larger fermenting bottles.I need help understanding using old yeast. I still have these bottlesremains in the refrigerator. How much old yeast do I reuse? Would Ialso pitch new yeast in a new batch? How good or how long does oldyeast stay if refrigerated?What about black stuff floating in bottles during early fermentation? Idid another experiment by letting herbs and grains sit suspended inwater, but loosely covered in my garage for 5 days and noticed it wasextracted, and possibly fermenting because there was foam. Is that toolong? I strained it, began the EZ Caps process, but noticed aftercapping and adding sugar and the EZ Cap yeast it had lots of blackstuff floating the first week, but it died and floated to the bottom.Is my experiment safe to consume? Should I throw it out? What is thetime limit and should I be careful to keep the initial extractionprocess air tight? I didn't keep it air tight but loosely covered.> -------- Original Message --------> Subject: [E-Z-Caps] Digest Number 246> From: E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sun, November 20, 2005 5:10 am> To: E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com>>> There is 1 message in this issue.>> Topics in this digest:>> 1. Brown Sugar> From: "cop8_wannabe" >>> ________________________________________________________________________> ________________________________________________________________________>> Message: 1> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:31:53 -0000> From: "cop8_wannabe" > Subject: Brown Sugar>> I just recently purchased my EZ caps and gave it a quick go with all> 6 caps at once for roughly about a 2 week fermentation period based> off of a friend's recipe.>> However instead of the standard 1 cup of sugar, I did half a cup of> white sugar and half a cup of brown sugar. I found that my> concoctions contained a higher alcohol content and therefore "dry"> taste.>> I made:> A straight honey mead> Honey mead with apple juice> White Wine> Red Wine> Pear Cider> AppleORGINAL POSTER: janet