EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: My hard ice tea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How much yeast do you use with your hard iced tea recipe? Do you use the yeast that comes with the E-Z Caps or a different type? Also, if anyone would like to share their hard lemonade recipe I would appreciate it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Message: 1 Date: Sat Jun 3, 2006 10:02 am (PDT) From: "Justforfun69" justforfun69@bellsouth.net Subject: Re: My hard ice tea I have had excellent luck with hard ice tea using already sweetened iced tea (which I make myself using 1 1/2 cups of sugar to a gallon of very strong tea). I add 1 cup of sugar to the 2-liter bottle along with about a half cup of apple juice (for added nutrients) then top off with my home made tea. I Ferment the concoction for 2 weeks. I end up with a high alcohol content tea that is still quite sweet and flavorful. I start with a pretty strong tea, not the store bought stuff that tends to be rather weak. Trying the same thing with a store bought sweet tea ended up in a water-alcohol tasting mixture that didn't retain the tea flavor much. I also add lemon juice after fermentation is complete, for added flavor. One last thing. I ALWAYS use purified bottled water (59 cents a gallon at Walmart. 1 Gal makes 2 2-liter batches) for any E-Z cap recipe I make. Tap water can ruin even the best recipe depending on your local water situation. As for the foam question, you probably won't get much in tea (I don't) but rest assured it ferments just fine, particularly if you add nutrients like apple juice. Give the bottle a few easy shakes and watch the fizz come out of the slit in the E-Z cap if you question whether fermentation is happening. 15 days should be plenty sufficient.ORGINAL POSTER: wv