EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: [E-Z-Caps] Re: Making Beer & Using Soda Extract
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I use the same environment for beer as wine? Do I have to clean up anydifferently?--- Willum wrote:> WoW!, Lots of questions, and that's great!>> You will get getter beer flavor using ale yeasts. Ale yeasts> typicaly have about 6-8% alcohol tolerance. They will usually brew> to completion in about a week or so. The EZ cap yeast yeast more> resembles a champaign type yeast, in that the yeast has an alcohol> tolerance of about 15-18% when you let it brew out completely.> Getting more alcohol means more time, to the tune of about 1% ABV> (Alcohol By Volume) per day.>> Refridgeration:> Refridgeration does NOT stop fermentation, it just slows it down.> Cold kind of hibernates the yeast, but it doesn't kill it. There are> a couple of ways to kill the yeast 1. Alcohol poisoning - different> strains of yeast have different alcohol tolernaces. When the yeast> makes enough alcohol that its environment gets to its tolerance, the> yeast dies. 2. Starvation - when the yeast runs out of sugar to eat,> it dies. 3. Heat - If the yeast gets up to a certain temperature,> like 150 degrees Farenheit, it'll die. Unfortunately, this severely> affects the flavor of whatever has been brewed.>> There is a way to stop fermentation if the brewing process> hasnt "naturally" killed the yeast. You can add preservatives like> potasium sorbate or sulfites to your brew. This is the way most> commercially produced wine is stabilized, but it presents 2 problems.> By adding chemicals to the wine, it changes the flavor. Maybe not> much, but some. The other concern is a lot more important. Some> people are allergic to the sulfites that are used to kill the yeast.> If you do use sulfites to kill the yeast, make sure you tell everyone> who tries your beverage that it contains sulfites. Be sure to label> the bottles as well.>> Refridgeration does slow down fermentation enough that you can> store "unfinished" brews in the 'fridge. Do not store ezcaps on> their side, they WILL leak. That's what they are designed to do, let> stuff out when there is sufficient pressure. If you are going to> store stuff on it's side, remove the ezcap and put the regular cap> back on it. As long as it's in the 'fridge, you should be OK.>> The "best" malt extracts are a matter of personal preference, like> saying the best cola is Coke or Pepsi. Do both and decide!>> If you make the sasparilla without an ezcap, only let it brew for a> couple days, then hit the fridge. Too long will make too much> alcohol (yes, there is such a thing!), and without the pressure> release valve of the ezcap, you might blow up the bottle. Big mess> and no fun. If you want to make an alcoholic soda, use the ezcap and> let it brew out for a week or two.>> Keep experimenting, and let us know what you find out.>> Willum>>> --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, "eezzcap" wrote:> >> > I just received my ez caps today. I am goiORGINAL POSTER: kevin