EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: Making Beer & Using Soda Extract
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tried first cider and sarsaparilla today. Both feremented for 4 days and clarified in the refrigerator for 2 days. The sarsaparilla had an ok taste and not much carbonation. The bottle was hard when I put it in the refrigerator; it wasn't as hard coming out. I have a few other bottles still fermenting (carbonating) with regular caps on. I refrigerated one after 6 days and the other, I'm letting go a little longer. We'll see what happens.The cider had only 2% alcohol after 4 days fermenting and I let it sit in the hydrometer for at least 10 minutes and spun the hydrometer. It had a nice taste and good carbonation. I put 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg in each bottle. A lot of the spices were floating on top of the bottle and had to be strained out. I am wondering if the spices would have impeded fermentation? I will try about a teaspoon of cinnamon and an 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg next time. Should I cook the spices in or can I just add them to the bottle? Will cooking the spices in keep them dissolved? Also, the cider seems a bit thick. Is this because it can ferment more? If I use a a regular size can of concentrate instead of the large, will it make it seem less thick? If I use the smaller can, will I have to add more sugar to increase alcohol levels? I like bottled ciders like Woodpecker and Baumers. Should the ciders end up similar to those or are they drastically different?The stout appears to be coming along nicely. Some foam (not much) came out the hole in the e-z caps on the first day. I did use a whole package of ale yeast between 2 2-liter bottles. There is a good amount of sediment (1/2 an inch) on the bottom of each bottle. Mostly from the malt, I believe.--- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, ""Willum"" wrote:>> Cool! It sounds like you've jumped in with both feet and are having> fun with it. I suggest making notes by keeping a little brewing> log. That way if youshould come up with the ""Ultimate Brew"", you can> recreate it. Also, if you come up with something excedingly nasty,> you'll have something to teach you how to avoid repeating your> mistakes.>> Enjoy!>> Willum - Who needs to bottle a little hard pink lemonaid tonight!>>> --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, ""eezzcap"" eezzcap@ wrote:> >> >> > I made a stout following the directions with the spray malt that I> > listed the other day and began fermenting it today. It had an> initial> > starting potential alcohol percentage of 4% (1.030 initial specific> > gravity) which worries me that there will not be much alcohol in the> > finished product. My Sarsaparilla had the same starting gravity.> > Although I tasted the sample that I used to measure the starting> gravity> > and it tasted just like a Guiness without carbonation. So> hopefully it> > will at least taste right if there is a low alcohol content. It is> hard> > to drink enough stout to get drunk of of anyway. I used chocolate> malt> > for both bottles and put 1 cup of 7-11 dark roast coffee into one> of the> > bottles. I did have to add some water to top off each bottle and I> left> > a little sediment and some liquid in the bottom of my cooking pot.> > AFter a couple of hours the bottles are brewing nicely and there is> an> > additional deposit in the bottom of each bottle. I saw that the> > instructions in the files section for making beer called for 1 and> 1/2> > poundsORGINAL POSTER: eezzcap