EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: making mead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
--- "Willum" wrote:>> has anyone tried making mead this year with EZ caps?>I've been making mead with EZ caps for a few years now, and my batches have beenturning out great! I've experimented with many types of honey, added fruitjuices, andeven herbs and spices to some. In fact I just finished making a mead thismorning. As apracticing Heathen, I make most of my meads for ritual use, and this one wasmade tohonor the goddess Freyja. Here is the receipe:Freyja Mead:- 1 cup of fresh strawberry juice (from blended fresh strawberries, strained).- 1.5 liters of spring water (I used Poland Spring).- Pot sized tea infuser filled with linden flower tea leaves.- 3 cups of basswood (linden flower) honey.- Dash of lemon juice.Directions:- Add strawberry juice, water, and dash of lemon juice to pot and begin heating.Add thetea infuser to begin brewing the linden flowers to the mix.- Bring to 160 degrees fahrenheit, remove tea infuser and stir in the honey.Keep stirringat 160 degrees for five minutes (this is known as flash pasteurization).-Remove heat, cover and allow to cool. Afterwards bottle into 2 liter sodabottle, andfollow the EZ caps instructions to add yeast and ferment.I usually ferment my meads for about three weeks, then refigerate to cut offfermentationand settle the yeast the bottom. I then transfer the mead into empty Grolsh beerswing-top bottles and age for at least a year (though the longer the better!).Enjoy,- ErikORGINAL POSTER: erik