EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: making mead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You wouldn't need to add any sugar. There is plenty from the honeyand fruit juice alone. If you want a sweeter/stronger mead, add morehoney instead.Best,- Erik--- ERIC EDWARDS wrote:>> So no sugar after cooking eveything?>>>>>> ----- Original Message ----> From: Erik > To: E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:23:36 PM> Subject: [E-Z-Caps] Re: making mead>> --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroup s.com, "Willum" wrote:> >> > has anyone tried making mead this year with EZ caps?> >>> I've been making mead with EZ caps for a few years now, and mybatches have been> turning out great! I've experimented with many types of honey,added fruit juices, and> even herbs and spices to some. In fact I just finished making amead this morning. As a> practicing Heathen, I make most of my meads for ritual use, andthis one was made to> honor the goddess Freyja. Here is the receipe:>> Freyja Mead:>> - 1 cup of fresh strawberry juice (from blended fresh strawberries,strained).> - 1.5 liters of spring water (I used Poland Spring).> - Pot sized tea infuser filled with linden flower tea leaves.> - 3 cups of basswood (linden flower) honey.> - Dash of lemon juice.>> Directions:>> - Add strawberry juice, water, and dash of lemon juice to pot andbegin heating. Add the> tea infuser to begin brewing the linden flowers to the mix.>> - Bring to 160 degrees fahrenheit, remove tea infuser and stir inthe honey. Keep stirring> at 160 degrees for five minutes (this is known as flashpasteurization) .>> -Remove heat, cover and allow to cool. Afterwards bottle into 2liter soda bottle, and> follow the EZ caps instructions to add yeast and ferment.>> I usually ferment my meads for about three weeks, then refigerateto cut off fermentation> and settle the yeast the bottom. I then transfer the mead intoempty Grolsh beer swing-> top bottles and age for at least a year (though the longer thebetter!).>> Enjoy,>> - Erik>>>>>>>____________________________________________________________________________________> TV dinner still cooling?> Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.> http://tv.yahoo.com/>ORGINAL POSTER: erik