EZ Caps

Full Version: Re: pulpy juices and mead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll do you one better! Here's a link to my handy-dandy, gee, I wishI could do that, holy cow this is delicious "how to make Mead" page:http://mikemojc.byethost12.com/Mead.html--- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin J. Kauffman" wrote:>> Will you share your recipe for mead?> > Thank you!>> --- On Tue, 7/15/08, Willum wrote:>> From: Willum > Subject: [E-Z-Caps] Re: pulpy juices and mead> To: E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com> Date: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 4:13 PM>>>>>>> Yes, yes, maybe, and yes...>> Pulpy juice is fine to brew, but sometimes very acidic juices, like> oranges and lemons, can be tough to get started. You can leave the> pulpy stuff in, that is your choice. Clarification is the processof> letting the suspended stuff fall to the bottom to seperate it off.> You may choose at any time to shake up your juice, I actually> recomend Shaking it up once a day for the first 3-4 days to get a> really active fermentation going. Don't shake it if you want it> to 'clear' in the next 2-3 days.>> I have successfully made Pize Winning mead using EZ Caps, here's a> couple tricks>> 1. Add a little apple or grape juice (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to your honey> water. Honey doesn't have all the extra trace elements (think> vitamins and minerals) that yeast needs to grow healthy and strong.> also, honey is a very complex sugar for the yeast to eat togenerate> the alcohol, so expect the honey fermentation to take about 2 to 3> times as long as fruit juices. Believe me, it's worth the wait!>> Willum Proud>> --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroup s.com, "plato.hedron" > wrote:> >> > I want to turn just about everything I come across into acider :o)> >> > My question is this ... What if you have an opaque/pulpy juice to> start with? (i.e. guava juice,> > orange juice, etc.). Is there a way to tell when the yeast isdone> gobbling up all the sugar?> > Can bits of pulp stay in the mix? I happen to like super pulpy> orange juice.> >> > Is there anything special that needs to be done, being as you> really can see through it like> > apple juice. Do I need to let it ferment a little longer, and how> will I know when it's> > "clarified"?> >> > During the fermentation process, can the bottles be disturb, or> even shaken? I started the> > Honey Mead as listed in the recipes that came with my EZ Caps,> however, the honey didn't> > completely incorporate into the apple juice, so now there is some> honey that's sitting at the> > bottom of the bottom. The yeast is eating it up, but very, very> slowly and I looks like it might> > take a lot longer than the 2-week guideline in the recipe.> &gORGINAL POSTER: willum