EZ Caps

Full Version: exploding wine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I'm new to making wine this way. How quick and easy to use. I had a problem with exploding wine. I used tropical fruit juice and apple juice plus 1 cup of sugar and the yeast. I was fermenting for 5 days before putting in the fridge for 3 days. I was showing of to my mother how easy and nice the E Z caps are. I took it out the fridge, On unscrewing the cap, the wine shot out the bottle, hitting the ceiling, I couldn't stop it, I lost over a litre. Quite a mess and sticky, on the up side my mother has never laughed so much she was crying. I was soaked through. Any tips on preventing this happening again?
Let it ferment longer.

Use less juice and sugar.

Don't shake up when taking out of fridge.

Don't take off cap as fast as you can.

Place a towel over the cap and just LOOSEN cap slightly to let carbonation escape and then remove cap completely and SLOWLY.

Pick one of the above.
After two days, I start burping my wine by slowly unscrewing the cap than closing it back. I'll do this every other day, and when I put it in the fridge I very slowly bleed off the excess gas. Will crack open cap daily in fridge.