EZ Caps

Full Version: Need a straight mead recipe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Folks,
New to ez caps here,

I was wondering how much honey and how much yeast for a 2 liter batch of straight mead. I just got the kit yesterday and want to get started. I prefer sweet meads as opposed to dry ones.

Thank you,
Kristy
Sweet Mead

1 pound of honey
1/3 pound cane sugar (you can also use brown sugar for a little something different) Smile
juice of 1 fresh lemon
1/2 cup apple juice (no preservatives, juice made from concentrate works well)
Warm water to bring total volume up to about 1.75~1.8 liters
Your yeast of choice - high tolerance yeasts like Champagne yeast works well
for any EZ cap recipe, I use just enough yeast to completely cover the inside of the EZ cap

Honey can be a little tough to ferment, so adding the cane sugar, lemon and apple juice adds to the flavor as well as acting as a yeast nutrient to get the fermentation started. Expect mead to take about 2~2.5x as long as fruit juice to ferment, then refrigerate.

Once the mead is done, you can add fruits and/or spices if you are so inclined. Enjoy!

[Image: Mead3.jpg]
Hello Mike Mojc,

Thank you. I have some yeast nutrient but that sounds wonderful! Thank you soo much. Can't wait to get it going!
Thanks again!
Kristy
Thanks! Try that recipe with some cinnamon and clove, too. Make a great Fall/Winter beverage.
This sounds exactly what I have been looking for. Have you made it before? How did it come out?
I make that recipe ALL the time, it accounts for about 2/3 of the wine I make. Smile
The Cinnamon/clove version is great cold in the summer, and room temp/warm in the fall and winter.

How does it come out? Smile Most people who 'know' says a mead isnt worth a darn until it's been aged at least a year. That recipe won awards about 36 hours after being bottled, and others since. I now usually make it in 5 gallon batches (about 24 bottles), and have a line of people waiting (some demanding!) for a bottle. In Missouri, it is legal to make wines for personal use, but illegal to sell them without the appropriate licenses. I've never sold a bottle, but been offered $25.00 for one.

I like it made in the EZ-Cap, best, because of the carbonation. The bubbles add a texture that really adds nicely to the flavor!
mikemojc Wrote:I make that recipe ALL the time, it accounts for about 2/3 of the wine I make. Smile
The Cinnamon/clove version is great cold in the summer, and room temp/warm in the fall and winter.

How does it come out? Smile Most people who 'know' says a mead isnt worth a darn until it's been aged at least a year. That recipe won awards about 36 hours after being bottled, and others since. I now usually make it in 5 gallon batches (about 24 bottles), and have a line of people waiting (some demanding!) for a bottle. In Missouri, it is legal to make wines for personal use, but illegal to sell them without the appropriate licenses. I've never sold a bottle, but been offered $25.00 for one.

I like it made in the EZ-Cap, best, because of the carbonation. The bubbles add a texture that really adds nicely to the flavor!

@mikemojc....how much cinnamon/clove to a 2l version, and when do you add them? I have a cinnamon tea that I would love to incorporate into a sweet mead and see what happens, this particular tea tastes like liquid red hots and is so good. (Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice)---but I don't know at which point to incorporate and how much should I use. Thanks.
My first batch of Mead was simply 1 1/2# of Clover Honey mixed with 7 Cups room temp water & 1/8 tsp yeast. Let it ferment for 21 days, rack into new vessel and let clarify in the fridge 7-10 days. Turned out great. Second batch was same as above but I added 1/4 tsp. Allspice & 1/8 tsp. Cinnamon. Truely, "The Drink of the Gods" !!! I have a batch of Strawberry going now. Should be done in about another two weeks. I'll try to keep you posted.

BTW-I added the strawberries at the start of fermentation and have never had to use a second carboy. Is there a reason I should?
I love to add cinnamon sticks instead of powder(i use the cheap brand at the Dollar Store), but cloves tend to give it a WANG for me. Start with a couple at first. I put 5 cloves in one time and it was just too much - the again, I'm not a big clove fan either :oops: .....Good Luck!