Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: 1st batch of beer
Greetings!Alcohol content and yeast, they go hand in hand. First of all, readthis: http://mikemojc.byethost12.com/Stopping.html . The EZ Capyeast is capable of 12-15% Alcohol By Volume (ABV) IF the conditionsare right. If you start with a relatively low sugar wort, the yeastwill ferment almost all the sugar available by about day 3 or 4, thentake the next couple of days to weaken from starvation. For a 'real'beer, you WANT a little live yeast left over. When you bottle, youprime the bottle with a little corn sugar to get a secondaryfermentation IN THE BOTTLE. This is what provides the carbonation.For wine that you don't want a secondary carbonation, let it fermentout about 2 weeks or so, so that the yeast either dies of starvationor alcohol poisoning, then filter and bottle. Coffee filters helpget rid of the cloudiness in wine and beer, but some yeast (alive ordead) might slip though.Good luck and good brew!--- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, "rob98rocks" wrote:>> Hi everyone,>> I couldn't really find this info in the posts so here's myquestion.> Using the recipe in the handout that came with the caps I'mcurrently> brewing some coopers wheat beer. Does beer ferment at the same rate> as mentioned in the sheet? It says to wait a week but a weekusually> corresponds to 12% alcohol for juices. I don't really want 12%> alcohol beer as I've tasted some before and they just taste bad with> such high alcohol content. I would prefer more like 6-8%. Hasanyone> measured the alcohol level from EZ Caps beer after a week?>> Another question I had is; if I filter the beer/wine that I makewith> a coffee filter, will that sufficiently remove the yeast and allowfor> storage at room temp (after bottling of course)?>> Thanks ahead of time.>ORGINAL POSTER: willum