Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: In regards to making mead
I have also had very good result with a 'fresh' or 'short' mead,winning prizes with mead that had been in the bottle 36 hours after a20 day ferment. It really comes down to the tastes of yourdrinkers. If the flavor of the mead comes off harsh, or too bright &bold, let it sit for 6 months and try it again. If it hasn'tmellowed to YOUR taste, wait another six months. If it's STILL toobold, give it to me; I'll still appreciate it!--- "Gene" wrote:>> Sorry, I didn't really answer the question completely.>> Many, including Adams and myself, consider six months to be the> minimum time to age the mead _in the bottle_.>> Mead is the bonsai of beverages...two to four months primary> fermentation (with perhaps a racking in between), then six months in> bottle. There are some who suggest aging in bottle for a minimum of> two years, claiming that the mellowing over that time is worth the> wait. When I make a batch, all bottles save one are aged for six> months. The last is my two-year-plus private stock. And yes, putting> that single bottle aside is worth it.>> Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Festive Festivus, Blessed Solstice,> or whatever you are celebrating.>ORGINAL POSTER: willum