Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pseudo red (or) white pyment
got my kit today and plan to make a pseudo red (or) white pyment in the next few days. i say pseudo because i'm probably not going to add enough honey for a pure pyment. i have one 10 oz of honey in the kitchen so that's have to do! even that small amount should alter the flavor a bit. My only concern is adding sugar, since the honey is a fermentable i don't want to go overboard with my sugar amount. i'm thinking 3/4 cup should do ok. i'm shooting for about 12-14%. i think 14 days should be enough for fermentation.

so here's my list:
1 can (11.5 oz) 100% juice concentrate - red or white? probably red!
10 oz. honey, just regular honey with no additives. (will boil for a minutes or so.)
3/4 cup sugar.
1/8th tsp yeast.
water.
Does anyone see a problem with this recipe?
Thanks.
That recipe sounds awesome.

I've found that fermenting honey is tricky- sometimes it ferments really quickly and sometimes it is painfully slow. I guess it depends on the bees. Boiling it like you said should help- that way the naturally occuring yeast in the honey won't be competing against the EZ Caps yeast. If the beverage looks like it is fermenting really rapidly I would take a few taste tests along the way towards your 14 day fermentation just to see how it is doing but don't be surprised if you have to add another week. Like I said, honey can be tricky.

Please post your results here. I'd love to see how it turns out!
yeah - 14 days is likely wishful thinking!
i ended up using 1-1/4 cup sugar. (ouch!) also pitched bewteen 1/8th - 1/4th tsp yeast. it's hour 19 now and it has been rapidly fermenting since about 1:00pm. i'm surprised at how little foam is being produced, hardly noticeable, but sit anywhere near the bottle and it sounds like a thousand angry snakes hissing away! temp is about 70-74 on average. ends up i didn't do a boil with the honey, i hope i don't regret it later.

Also have two VERY small test batches of cider going. 16.9, and 20 oz. bottles. just curious how high i can get the abv! Confusedhock:
next up, grape wine.
dopplebock Wrote:yeah - 14 days is likely wishful thinking!
i ended up using 1-1/4 cup sugar. (ouch!) also pitched bewteen 1/8th - 1/4th tsp yeast. it's hour 19 now and it has been rapidly fermenting since about 1:00pm. i'm surprised at how little foam is being produced, hardly noticeable, but sit anywhere near the bottle and it sounds like a thousand angry snakes hissing away! temp is about 70-74 on average. ends up i didn't do a boil with the honey, i hope i don't regret it later.

Also have two VERY small test batches of cider going. 16.9, and 20 oz. bottles. just curious how high i can get the abv! Confusedhock:
next up, grape wine.

Honey contains natural yeasts- traditional mead was made using these yeasts to ferment the mead. By not boiling it you may have imparted an original mead flavor.
well i couldn't wait! the wonderful aroma from my fermenting pyment lured me into a test tasting! yeah i know, it's only been abour 69 hr's! grabbed about 2 oz. with my baster. smell was more honey-like than grape. pretty sweet but i knew it would be at this point. already a very noticable warmth of alcohol, i was pleased with the taste and can't wait til it's ready!
a little update:

it's still going! barely but still fermenting after 23 days. i put a air lock on it 18 days ago. this batch was brewed without the cap; cloth and rubber band instead for a non-bubbly wine! i've tasted it so many times i only have 3/4 of it left! but it's really tuning out nice so i'll savor the remainder! it's getting about to the cut-off point for me and dryness so i'm adding 1/4th camden tablet in 3 days to stop fermentation and to stabilize.

more info when available.
Thank you for offering this info but I really you would follow through and let know how it went and give us some pics.

That's the purpose of the forum, to help each other out not to leave us hanging on whether it worked or not Smile
Robin