Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cider
I used the EZCAPS recipe for making apple cider but substituted brown sugar for white. The cider had a completely (and better) taste.
That is an excellent idea. Some other things I've done is instead of adding sugar, add an additional can of apple juice concentrate. The next time I'm going to try adding dried malt extract instead of sugar. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I've been making batches of apfelwein - which is actually what the EZ-Caps recipe is, because traditional English or American-style cider doesn't add additional sugars to the apple juice. By adding the additional sugar, you bump up the ABV and get into the apfelwein range (8%+).

I just kegged a 5-gallon batch of apfelwein that had the simplest recipe ever: 4.5 gallons of store-bought preservative-free apple juice, 2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar). I switched it up like Rontudmr did, by substituting 1.5lbs of dark brown sugar for 1lb of the dextrose, then I added a bit of vanilla extract and some cinnamon. It is marvelous, and WAAAAY TOO EASY to drink!
khiddy Wrote:I've been making batches of apfelwein - which is actually what the EZ-Caps recipe is, because traditional English or American-style cider doesn't add additional sugars to the apple juice. By adding the additional sugar, you bump up the ABV and get into the apfelwein range (8%+).

I just kegged a 5-gallon batch of apfelwein that had the simplest recipe ever: 4.5 gallons of store-bought preservative-free apple juice, 2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar). I switched it up like Rontudmr did, by substituting 1.5lbs of dark brown sugar for 1lb of the dextrose, then I added a bit of vanilla extract and some cinnamon. It is marvelous, and WAAAAY TOO EASY to drink!

That recipe sounds AWESOME. Do you have a 2-liter EZ Cap version of the recipe?
Does this recipe require yeast, if so, what kind and how much? Thanks!
Skamaniac Wrote:Does this recipe require yeast, if so, what kind and how much? Thanks!

The yeast and quantity can be found on the original instructions here: http://www.ezcapsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1299