Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can i stop the alcohol process without refridgerating?
merryman Wrote:Made my first go on cider last week and tried it today, very nice drink and very strong but without tasting strong, lethal but nice. made cider in 2litre pop bottles, and I'm keen to make more. I don't have a lot of fridge room to chill cider and stop fermentaion but would like to be able to make a lot and start bottling it with the swing top bottles. in order to pass on later as christmas gifts. Can i stop the process any other way or do i need to buy a seperate fridge. dont want my bottles exploding but would like to build up a stock.

You can buy campden tablets at a local homebrew store to stop fermentation by killing the yeast with chemicals: "Campden tablets are also used towards the end of the fermentation process to halt the ferment before all the available sugars are converted by the yeast, hence controlling the amount of residual sweetness in the final product. This balancing between sweet, dry and tart flavors is part of the artistry of wine and cider making." (reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campden_tablets )

Messages In This Thread