Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just not working
I have tried 4 batches of wine each time following the instructions but "tweeking" a little to try and get desired results. First batch was with home grown pears, juiced. I added the juice, 2 cups of sugar and 1/8 tsp of the yeast. I let it sit for 9 days since my old farm house is a little on the cool side. It looked and tasted like syrup. I let it sit a few days longer and it became slimy. Dumped it and started over. Same type juice, less sugar and put it on a plant heat mat. Tried it after 8 days, not as sweet but still thick and slimy, yuk. Tried one more batch with 1 cup of sugar, 7 days sitting on mat, 3 days in fridge, volcano eruption trying to open, still sweet and slimy.

Thought maybe it was my pear juice so bought some Ocean Spray no sugar added grape/pom juice. Used half of the grape/pom and half my pear juice in one bottle and straight grape/pom in the other. Only added 1 cup of sugar and 1/8 tsp yeast, let it sit on the low heat plant mat for 7 days but after 3 days in the fridge still couldn't get cap off without a volcano eruption. Put back on mat for 3 more days, back in fridge for 2 days, still same volcano (by the way all of my attempts have had this happen), finally babied the frigin cap enough I could pour a little for taste and both were disgustingly sour and yep the pear one still thick but now sour.

Unless someone can tell me what the hell is going on, these are going in the trash. I've wasted enough juice and sugar to have bought good wine by now.

Messages In This Thread