Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: My first Ale is in my closet
--- "Ariesmoon69" wrote:> Hi ,> You may want to siphon the beer off of the sediment after thefoam> on top has subsided ( usually within 3 days ) . The sediment can> produce some very bitter flavors in your beer . Just use a vinyl> hose that has been soaked in weak bleach/water solution and don't> put the end into the sediment .> Also , put your beer somewhere dark . Exposure to light is what> produces the "skunky" smell in Rolling Rock , Heinekin and other> beers bottled in green or clear glass .> Good luckI hear what your saying. I was think of doing just that. Itis hard to siphon a warm fermenting and carbonated beverage.I could chill it for 24hrs. after the third day and thentransfer it. Then put another EZ cap on and place it back ina warm enviroment. The fermenting proccess should start againonce the beverage warms up. What a hassle. I did some researchon this via the Internet. I learned that if you only use aStage I ferment (From primary fermentor to bottling bucketto bottle)you can leave the beer in the primary fermentor for8-12 days. After that the problem with what you described canoccur. A Stage II ferment will allow the beverage to sit inthe secondary fermentor for 3 weeks. I think what I will dowith the two less sweet batches is ferment them for about6 days. Then in the fridge for 2 days. I just made another2L batch today. This one is a very high gravity. I may tryand transfer (after chilling) it into a few 16oz soda bottleswith EZ caps on them. Then let the fermenting resume after theywarm up. I would let them go another 3 or 4 days. I have learnedthat beer is much more work than making wine with EZ caps.ORGINAL POSTER: ramjammn