Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: [E-Z-Caps] Re: ""yeasty"" flavor
It wont work unless you Clarify in the fridge. Carefully siphon offinto another container being careful not to disturb thesediment. Repeat. Clarify.That's 3 clarification cycles and transferring to a new containertwice. That takes about 20 days.At 08:57 AM 8/13/2004 +0000, you wrote:>I've been trying to run mine through a coffee filter like you>suggested but it's extremely slow going. I placed a funnel on my>second bottle, placed coffee filter into funnel, poured beverage>into filter. After about 10 seconds it goes from a steady pour to a>slow drip. what am I doing wrong?>>--- Steve wrote:> > Never try to filter a beverage through a brita filter.>It will> > just ruin the filter. There are two ways to get all the yeast out:> >> > method 1) Clarify in the fridge. Carefully siphon off>into> > another container being careful not to disturb the> > sediment. Repeat. Clarify. Pour through coffee filter.> >> > method 2) Add a chemical specifically sold to clarify>home brew> > wines or beers. Then follow method 1.> >> > Both methods work equally well, but method 2 will shave a>few days> > off the process. Method 2 is also better for bottling if you are>unsure> > fermentation has ended as most of the clarifiers also kill the>yeast. Some> > of these chemicals contain sulfites which can cause rare allergic>reactions> > and have anecdotally been linked to cancer. Other clarifiers,>like> > gelatin, may not kill all the yeast but is also effective.> >> > At 05:17 AM 8/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:> > >I don't mind a slight hint of yeast taste (sierra nevada happens>to> > >be one of my favorite beers) it's just mine was so strong. I'll>let> > >my next batch clarify before drinking. I was just concerned to>see> > >if my first batch worked. quick question though: I'm wanting to> > >serve this to some friends and i'm not sure if they'll detect the> > >taste after clarifying or not, do you think if i poured it>through> > >one of those brita pitchers it would filter out all of the yeast>and> > >if it did would it filter out good parts of the beverage?> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >--- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, "ramjammn" wrote:> > > > --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, therockinc@y... wrote:> > > > > My first beverage just finished fermenting. I got impatient> > >dring> > > > > clarification and drank some as soon as it was cold. it>tasted> > > > good> > > > > but I noticed the distinct flavor of the yeast. My question> > >is:&gORGINAL POSTER: steve