Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Separating
i reccomend you don't bother with a "well made filter" or any betterfilter than cheesecloth, if any. accept the fact that there will besome crud at the bottom, and it's ok to throw it out. by filtering thedrink too much you take away other impurities that add to the flavorand character of it. the best thing i've found if you want to takemore yeast out of it is the seperate it twice, has always worked bestfor me. best of luck to you all in your endeavors =br>--- TerraCore Communications wrote:> I don't have experience with lab filters, sorry.>> At 12:01 AM 3/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:> >Would there be a problem with something like a... saltwater filter?> >It is used for separating the water from algae and seaweed but is a> >better filter than a coffee filter. It seems like the everythingBUT> >the yeast is dissolved (correct me if I'm wrong)... so a very well> >made filter should work, right? Would this be a very effective wayof> >recycling the yeast as well?> >> >--- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, TerraCore Communications> > wrote:> > > If you are very careful with the pouring and thebeverage> >is very> > > cold, you can get a good 90+ percent of it out with one pour.For> >the more> > > patient, you can get almost 100% by waiting for the drink in the> >second> > > bottle to completely settle, and then pour that off again. The> >result will> > > be nearly 100% yeast free drink with very little loss.> > >> > > I've never tried cheesecloth but the yeast is too small> >for> > > that. A coffee filter makes more sense.> > >> > > At 11:37 PM 3/10/2004 +0000, you wrote:> > > >Earlier in the forum it was said that only 85% of the drinkcould> > > >actually be used because of the settled yeast at the bottom. Iwas> > > >wondering if there was a way to separate the two moreefficiently.> > > >Someone mentioned Cheese Cloth (or however it is/was spelled),bad> > > >idea? I have access to a lab where there are hundreds ofdifferent> > > >strainers... but is it even possible to stain the yeast? ordoes is> > > >partially dissolve when it is disturbed?> > > >-Mark> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >Yahoo! Groups Links> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> >> >> >> >> >> >Yahoo! Groups Links> >> >> >> >ORGINAL POSTER: finkthefrosch06