Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Bottling question
I know you said it would be a whole 'nother article... but would youmind elaborating on the other ways of killing the yeast? I don't meanto be picky, but I'm looking for a sweet 5%-10% alcoholic beverage...and I have no knowledge about amino acids, yet I would really like touse glass bottles as a serving method. So ANY suggestions you havewould be appreciated... plus, the white-grape-raspberry drink turnedout amazing - wondering if I should post the recipe?--- TerraCore Communications wrote:> The key here is to make sure that fermentation has ENDEDbefore> you put it into the fridge. You can make sure that fermentationhas ended> by looking closely at the (unrefrigerated and unopened) beverage inthe> light. If no bubble are rising, fermentation has ended.Fermentation> usually ends because of one of three reasons:>> 1) All the useable sugars are consumed by the yeast and the yeaststarves.> (a dry beverage).> 2) The alcohol content gets to 15-17%. Alcohol content this highwill> kill the yeast.> 3) The yeast consumes all the useable amino acids and othernutrients in> the beverage and the yeast starves.>> (there are other reasons that yeast can die andfermentation ends,> but that is a whole 'nother article)>> Sulfites are not necessary if you plan to consume thedrinks> within the year. (longer for higher octane drinks). Generally, Idon't> recommend adding chemicals to your beverages. One of the majorreasons> people beginning making their own beverages is to get away from> commercially-added chemicals. Sulfites are like pesticides: theyserve a> vital purpose for mass production but have no nutritional value,and some> people are highly sensitive to them. (sulfites are notinsecticides)>> is> there any possibility of the drink beggining to ferment again and> exploding due to the pressure?>> Whenever you vint or homebrew, or any hobby that includesputting> any pressurized substance into a container, bursting is always a> possibility. But it usually happens when people do somethingfoolish like> trying to store champagne in a wine bottle, or beer in a waterbottle, etc.>> Will the drinks go bad due to several> temperature changes?>> All drinks, including commercially prepared ones, willEVENTUALLY> go bad due to several temperature changes. Temperature changesshorten the> "shelf life" of all beverages including beers, wines, Coke, Pepsi,etc even> things like bottled water. Temperature changes like you describedfor a> beverage consumed within a year should not noticeably effect thequality.>> At 01:14 AM 3/16/2004 +0000, you wrote:> >Once I finish making the drink, and I allow it to refrigerate - are> >there any hazards in pouring it into glass bottles and using a> >capping machine? I plan to seperate the yeast from the drink by> >slowly pouring it out (about 90% of it at least) and leaving the> >yeast at theORGINAL POSTER: neldaarjr4