Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: [E-Z-Caps] Re: Bottling question
I read ahomebrewing article that described how to pasteurize beer by putting thebottles in a hot water bath for 30 minutes. The water needs toreach 145-160 degrees F (note, this is below the boiling point). That will raise the temperature enough to kill any yeast and bacteriainside the drink. Pasteurization is the technique used bycommercial outfits. This isnot a method I recommend because of the potential for the bottles toburst. The other option is to kill the yeast chemically by addingPotassium Metabisufite (sold in home brew and wine storesunder the name Camden tablet) I'mstill a fan of letting the yeast die naturally. If you use juiceand add little or no sugar during fermentation it should die in thealcohol range you are shooting for. If it's not as sweet as youlike you can always add sugar. A word of caution though, whenadding sugar I recommend mixing it in a vessel with plenty of headroom. When sugar hits a carbonated beverage it's like opening abottle of warm champagne.At 01:28 AM 3/17/2004 +0000, you wrote: I know you said it would be a whole 'nother article... but would you mind elaborating on the other ways of killing the yeast? I don't mean to be picky, but I'm looking for a sweet 5%-10% alcoholic beverage... and I have no knowledge about amino acids, yet I would really like to use glass bottles as a serving method. So ANY suggestions you have would be appreciated... plus, the white-grape-raspberry drink turned out amazing - wondering if I should post the recipe? --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com, TerraCore Communications wrote: > The key here is to make sure that fermentation has ENDED before > you put it into the fridge. You can make sure that fermentation has ended > by looking closely at the (unrefrigerated and unopened) beverage in the > light. If no bubble are rising, fermentation has ended. Fermentation > usually ends because of one of three reasons: > > 1) All the useable sugars are consumed by the yeast and the yeast starves. > (a dry beverage). > 2) The alcohol content gets to 15-17%. Alcohol content this high will > kill the yeast. > 3) The yeast consumes all the useable amino acids and other nutrients in > the beverage and the yeast starves. > > (there are other reasons that yeast can die and fermentation ends, > but that is a whole 'nother article) > > Sulfites are not necessary if you plan to consume the drinks > within the year. (longer for higher octane drinks). Generally, I don't > recommend adding chemicals to your beverages. One of the major reasons > people begiORGINAL POSTER: steve