Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure and fermentation
I'm new to fermenting, and to e-z caps. I've noticed the bottles become rock-hard after a few days. I looked online and found some brewers saying excessive C02, which dissolves back into water as carbonic acid, combined w/ high pressure that yeast cells don't like, can actually inhibit fermentation. I'm wondering, does everyone tighten their caps all the way, or should I loosen them until the bottles are softer?

BTW, my first ferment -- the ginger beer recipe left for 5 days instead of 2 -- turned out delicious. But wow was it bubbly! Bubbles kept coming furiously even minutes after it was poured into a glass, makes me think it was over-carbonated...
jerb Wrote:I'm new to fermenting, and to e-z caps. I've noticed the bottles become rock-hard after a few days. I looked online and found some brewers saying excessive C02, which dissolves back into water as carbonic acid, combined w/ high pressure that yeast cells don't like, can actually inhibit fermentation. I'm wondering, does everyone tighten their caps all the way, or should I loosen them until the bottles are softer?

BTW, my first ferment -- the ginger beer recipe left for 5 days instead of 2 -- turned out delicious. But wow was it bubbly! Bubbles kept coming furiously even minutes after it was poured into a glass, makes me think it was over-carbonated...

Don't worry, the caps will know what to do. Don't loosen them unless you want a flat drink.
jerb Wrote:BTW, my first ferment -- the ginger beer recipe left for 5 days instead of 2 -- turned out delicious. But wow was it bubbly! Bubbles kept coming furiously even minutes after it was poured into a glass, makes me think it was over-carbonated...

I should have added, the first time you use a set of caps is their "break in" period where they retain more CO2 than subsequent uses.