Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: My first Ale is in my closet
Hi ,You may want to siphon the beer off of the sediment after the foamon top has subsided ( usually within 3 days ) . The sediment canproduce some very bitter flavors in your beer . Just use a vinylhose that has been soaked in weak bleach/water solution and don'tput the end into the sediment .Also , put your beer somewhere dark . Exposure to light is whatproduces the "skunky" smell in Rolling Rock , Heinekin and otherbeers bottled in green or clear glass .Good luck--- "ramjammn" wrote:> I started two 2L bottles of an Amber Ale today.>> 120 ounces of bottled spring water> 9 ounces of John Bull Hopped Amber extract malt> 9 ounces of Light Dry Malt Extract> 1 ounce (It was all I had) of corn sugar>> Boiled mixture for 20 minutes. Cooled in ice bath.> yeast was pitched at around 76deg. I tasted the wort> and it could have been stronger.I will try making> it stronger on my next batch. I put apx 52 ounces> in each bottle. One thing that concerns me is all> the debris on the bottom of each bottle. I will keep> you all posted on results.ORGINAL POSTER: ariesmoon69