Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: [E-Z-Caps] Bottling
It's not the sediment that creates the problem, it's because thereis still consumable sugars in the drink and theoretically a singlemicroscopic yeast cell is all it takes to start a thriving colony.There are 3 "main" ways to insure this doesn't happen:1) All the sugars are consumed and all the yeast die of starvation.2) The alcohol content gets above 16-18% and kills the yeast.3) The yeast is deliberately killed by a chemical especiallydesigned for this purpose (tablets available at the homebrew stores).Cheers,SteveAt 08:35 PM 1/26/2005 +0000, you wrote:>Be careful when bottling clarified wine if there is ANY sediment>left in it. I clarified a brew then poured off and re-clarified>twice. There was still a little sediment that got into the mix. I>bottled it in a wine bottle with a cork and let it sit for a few>days at room temp. to see if it would erupt. It didn't until I>thought it was safe and layed it on my wine rack with the rest of my>bottles. Then the cork gave way and created such a mess.>>Any suggestions what I can do to avoid this if I don't want a>carbonated beverage?>>Thanks,>BJ>>>>>>>>Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>ORGINAL POSTER: steve