Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: making mead
You wouldn't need to add any sugar. There is plenty from the honeyand fruit juice alone. If you want a sweeter/stronger mead, add morehoney instead.Best,- Erik--- ERIC EDWARDS wrote:>> So no sugar after cooking eveything?>>>>>> ----- Original Message ----> From: Erik > To: E-Z-Caps@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:23:36 PM> Subject: [E-Z-Caps] Re: making mead>> --- In E-Z-Caps@yahoogroup s.com, "Willum" wrote:> >> > has anyone tried making mead this year with EZ caps?> >>> I've been making mead with EZ caps for a few years now, and mybatches have been> turning out great! I've experimented with many types of honey,added fruit juices, and> even herbs and spices to some. In fact I just finished making amead this morning. As a> practicing Heathen, I make most of my meads for ritual use, andthis one was made to> honor the goddess Freyja. Here is the receipe:>> Freyja Mead:>> - 1 cup of fresh strawberry juice (from blended fresh strawberries,strained).> - 1.5 liters of spring water (I used Poland Spring).> - Pot sized tea infuser filled with linden flower tea leaves.> - 3 cups of basswood (linden flower) honey.> - Dash of lemon juice.>> Directions:>> - Add strawberry juice, water, and dash of lemon juice to pot andbegin heating. Add the> tea infuser to begin brewing the linden flowers to the mix.>> - Bring to 160 degrees fahrenheit, remove tea infuser and stir inthe honey. Keep stirring> at 160 degrees for five minutes (this is known as flashpasteurization) .>> -Remove heat, cover and allow to cool. Afterwards bottle into 2liter soda bottle, and> follow the EZ caps instructions to add yeast and ferment.>> I usually ferment my meads for about three weeks, then refigerateto cut off fermentation> and settle the yeast the bottom. I then transfer the mead intoempty Grolsh beer swing-> top bottles and age for at least a year (though the longer thebetter!).>> Enjoy,>> - Erik>>>>>>>____________________________________________________________________________________> TV dinner still cooling?> Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.> http://tv.yahoo.com/>ORGINAL POSTER: erik